Papyrus Institute

12/10/2009

On Friday, we went to a papyrus institute where they make and sell papyrus paper. Papyrus is a reed-like plant found in Egypt and is used in many ways.

A man at the institute showed us how to make papyrus paper. They cut off the outside part and then slice the inner part in to thin slices, pound them and roll them out flat until they are flexible. Then they sit in a vat of water for 6 days. Then the strips are ready to be binded together using a layering technique he showed us. Then the sheet of paper is put under a press for 6 days until the paper is dried, flat, and ready for use.

After this presentation, we were encouraged to look around and buy some papyrus art. The paintings and designs were very beautiful. Some of the pieces could be customized with our own names in hieroglyphics.

I have really enjoyed my time in Egypt and I am having a great time. This will be a trip I will never forget. If it were not for the new EXP program, I would have never had the chance to see the amazing things I have. I am excited to come home and share the pictures and stories I have from my EXPerience in Egypt.


Posted at 12:43 PM by Jonathan McReynolds