Sailing on the Nile

12/14/2009

Salam! (Peace be with you and Hello!)

Egypt has been an amazing and overwhelming experience. I am finally here back in America, and I’m wondering where all the time went. I was planning on blogging while actually in Egypt, but our group ran into a small problem: we couldn’t get the internet anywhere! When we did have the internet available for short periods of time, it was usually late at night and we had to pay for it. You can ask anyone on the trip, it was certainly an adventure. So please forgive us, because sometimes on an adventure it’s difficult to keep in touch.

But, let me tell you, this trip was worth everything. It was worth no internet, cell phone, or pizza. It was worth the 30 hour travel, the money I probably should have spent on something more sensible, and the 5 am wake up calls. It was worth it because of those times I was so full of awe I couldn’t help thinking in disbelief that this was my life… and I was in Egypt!

One of those moments for me was sailing down the Nile. Our group took a faluca, or Egyptian sailboat, ride in Aswan. Aswan is in Southern Egypt and has been described as the place where Egypt ends and Africa begins. It was certainly a more relaxed city than Luxor, and it was nice to take a break. At first we weren’t sure where we were going, and it wouldn’t be the first time on the trip a boat ride had turned into a far greater surprise, but the surprise this time was simply to be where we were. For me, it was a chance to take a real look around, not worry about going anywhere and to just appreciate the moment. Well, I guess I’d be lying if I said there we no surprises at all, because it was definitely a surprise to me when one of the people who had been helping with the boat took out a drum and got us all involved in singing a traditional song. Everyone put their pride aside and really got into it, clapping and singing the responding chants. Everyone seemed to be in a good mood. We waved at other sailboats, we took pictures of the sunset, and we bought things from the man on the boat who, like everyone else, was selling something. All in all, it was just a good time. I know for me it was one of the highlights of the trip.

I could talk about Egypt forever, and believe me, in the next few days I probably will, but there is nothing that can capture the understanding of those moments I know I will never forget.

Shokran (thank you) to everyone who made it possible for this adventure to happen.

-Jessi Krumrei

Senior English and Religion/Philosophy major



Posted at 2:34 PM by Jessi Krumrei